Tuesday 14 September 2010

Meet The Slockers

Using up a bit more stash on a pair of Slockers
OK lads and lasses, but probably more lasses than lads, I put out a request last week to ask for ideas on what to knit next. Sarah J. Hunter and I came up with the Slocker, which is like a slipper but sock shaped and very thick. This was the start.
And this is the end:
I know it looks as if I'm standing on the ceiling, but that was because I took the picture myself while wearing them and doing a bit of yoga. I've got them on now (over those socks you see) and I can report that it's so toasty in there that it seems to be keeping my whole self warm. I'm only wearing two layers of yoga kit and for me, that's not normally enough of a dull September afternoon.

I am not going to take you up on your suggestions for matching knickers; that would be a bit ticklish.

I wrote down what I did as I went along, so I can post a pattern. But I used 8mm two-ended needles (as you can see in the top pic) and two strands of kid mohair, one ordinary thickness mohair, one cotton, one double knit wool and one black wool thing I got from Texere that's quite tough, so I can wear them around the house. If you've got a sock pattern, and you know what your'e doing, adapt it to fit and get on with it.
Be careful on shiny wood floors. I might stick or stitch a leather sole on to stop them being quite so slippery, but the floors are getting a good polish.

Excellent for the end of a yoga class when you don't want to put shoes on (or aren't allowed) but don't want to get chilly toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment