Friday 27 August 2010

Goddam Clothing Moths

On Wednesday I took the woolly out of the bag to show my friends, Angela and Bella, and out flew a moth. That bad news is that it's too late; the thing has already laid its eggs and now they'll hatch and tiny crawly things will eat a chunk of my sweater. As it's so huge, I don't think it will compromise the structure, but they can destroy 4-ply.

My vegan friends believe that it's Mother Nature's revenge for exploiting sheep, goats and silk moths; clothing moths don't find cotton or synthetics that tasty so they don't bother with them. Bella, who isn't vegan, was particularly distressed as clothing moths ate holes in the socks I knitted her last year; they are rampant in north London, annoyingly greedy little creatures that they are. (Clothing moths, not vegans.)

I use essential oils to keep them away; they hate patchouli oil which is why it was originally imported from India with pashminas in previous centruries. They don't like clove bud, cinnamon and lots of other beautiful scents. Auroville do some wardobe packs of powdered essential oils to hang up next to your best duffle coat and to pack in with your woollies. They are from an Indian co-operative and smell lovely (to us, not moths).

I've also bought some sticky things from Manufactum; these are 15cm square stickers on which you place a small patch scented with clothing moth pheromone. The creatures then hurl themselves at it and stick fast; a messy death follows. Sorry, but it serves you right.

Apparently they don't like light. Last year my bedroom window blind was shut all winter (Velux problems). I'm hoping that now I've mended it with Sugru, the occasional blast of sunshine with keep them away.
Any other brilliant solutions? Please share I can't wait to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment