Tuesday 17 August 2010

Keeping out the cold 2010




A New 5 Degree Woolly: 

Start now and join in. I've been rifling through the yarn stash and came up with that bunch of yarns in the picture for my autumn-winter collection. First, I'm going to knit a huge sweater that I can throw over all the clothes I'm wearing at the time, instead of switching on the heating. 
I'm using 15mm needles, some grey mohair I bought off eBay, a purple boucle from Texere (see previous post), and a cashmere/silk mix (the bight pink cone) that I got years back from a company that sold off spare stuff from Scottish woollens companies. (Shame that he seems to have disappeared with the advent of cheap, Chinese cashmere that isn't at all kind to goats.) There are also some beautifully fluffy balls of pink wool, and those two balls of mixed colours from DBNY in the US. I got another DBNY delivery this morning and have added in another pink ball of 100% wool. It might change as I go along, when I run out of something, but that's the point really. Just use up what you have around, and see what happens along the way. I'll be posting my progress. Please do join in, and send pictures of your own work too.

By the way, do go and visit the girls at www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/shop
They have wonderful yarns at amazing prices and it's even worth shipping it to the UK, although the transport miles worry me a little. My bamboo yarn came from Italy, via DBNY in the US, back to the UK and I've no idea where the bamboo was grown in the first place...

Happy knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment