Sunday 22 August 2010

Half Way up the Front

"It's mine now."
Mocha, the cat.

Our cat likes my work. This summer she has been using my first woolly as a bed, and has tried to lay claim to this one too. My fault; I have now put it away in the orange and pink beach bag (free with suntan lotion)  in the foreground.

As you see, I've made some progress with the 2010 5 Degree Woolly. I knitted 16 rows of K1P1 rib, but that was only because I forgot to stop and switch to knit rows and pearl rows.

Once I remembered I switched. (No point pulling stitches out if you don't have to. I just decided to make it longer.) I've now added 32 plain rows. I changed colour at one point as one of my balls ran out. I liked the green flecks, so I added in some apple green mohair; you can see the second hank on the end of the chaise.

In the background there's a tie I'm knitting from some rayon/raw silk yarn. We'll see how that turns out too.
Here's how the 5 Degree Woolly looks in detail:
You can see where I changed colour about 6 rows after the rib.
That's the whole point really. Just use up what's handy.

At some point soon, I've got to decide what to do with the sleeves and neckline, but for this one, the first (technically the second but the first I'm knitting in public), I think I'll stick with straight lines up the sides and a very simple polo neck. If you're more technical, feel free to adapt yours.

This is about two evenings' worth of knitting. If you've ever been put off because you thought it would take you a year to create a reasonably sized chunk of knitwear, I hope this will cheer you along the way. So, raid your nan's yarn stash, get a pair of HUGE needles and join in. Please let me know when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment